New Postcard

Well, it’s time for a new postcard.

I had an idea that I wanted to go with, which is  of a cat-loving little girl with an annoyed cat.   I wanted the girl to be totally ecstatic. I wanted the cat to look like that if given the chance he would murder the little girl, and for fun, everyone else in the world.

Now, there is nothing wrong with this sample postcard above but it wasn’t extreme enough.  My drawing style is very controlled in this image. (Oh, and thanks Charles for letting me know that whatnot is one word.)

So, I tried to relax.  I still knew I wanted the girl in particular to be much muchier, and chubby.  As I drew I started to see a character developing that enjoyed.

In the final image I opened her mouth to add to her ecstasy in having a kitty.  Instead of inking in the drawing I scanned in the pencil sketch.  I tried to not clean it up too much.   I think it works.

I would like to thank my sister and my daughter, former love-that-cat-to-death children, for their inspiration.  Not to fear though, my adult sister and daughter are now loved by cats far and wide.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “New Postcard”

1. I love the updated design! Awesome expressions on both characters!

And you’re welcome re. whatnot. :)

2. Esmeralda says:

Love it! You always crack me up..”I wanted the cat to look like that if given the chance he would murder the little girl, and for fun, everyone else in the world.” Hee hee! An admirer of your illustrations and humor :)

3. elsa says:

You do such wonderful hilarious work! I love kitties and I know that there are times they’d love to murder me ~ especially one of them ~ he hates to be held and gives me that same look when I pick him up.
    Have you seen the book ‘How to Tell If Your Cat is Plotting to Kill You’? It’s hilarious too!

4. SuzK says:

totally love this! My older cat would have acted just like this!

5. Michele says:

Love every detail, especially that little flicker of the tail. I know that demeanor sooo well! Your work is great and so is your sense of humor!

• Andrea says:

I’m glad you noticed the tail flick. I don’t know how many times I’ve seen people “loving” cats and they don’t see the tail twitching with deep seated hatred.

And on another note, I was going to write deep-seeded, but I looked it up because I didn’t know if seeded was spelled a different way. Well, it’s not deep-seeded at all, but deep-seated. I had no clue.

6. Becky says:

as much as I love your embroidery patterns, I REALLY LOVE this new “How to draw” stint you’ve been on, Andrea! Keep it up-I’m finding it invaluable advice!

7. Cheryl G. says:

I LOVE it!
    Immediately I thought of my little grand-daughter as she frequently likes to pick up the cat (and not always right side up).
    Two pictures of her in action here:
    But you MUST have seen them before!