I want a Platypus, I want a Platypus! Okay, this months pattern is a Platypus.

Platypus by Andrea Zuill

At my Flickr group Badbird Patterns I’ve had a couple of people ask for a Platypus pattern.  I don’t know if they where Aussies, but Australians have supported me quite a bit over the years by buying my prints.  The least I could do was dedicate a pattern to them.

Platypuses are very cute, in mixed up kind of way.  They are mammals that lay eggs.  Their young nurse from their mother not with nipples, but with milk that is released through pores of her skin on her abdomen.  Now this is the weird part,  both the male and females have spurs on their back feet that contain venom.

Let’s see a show of hands.  Who thinks that a platypus should be called a Cobra Duck?   1. . . 2. . . . 3. . . . . . .          Okay, this is going to take awhile.  In the mean time please stitch yourself up a heaping cup of platypus embroidery.

Click on the pattern above to get the full size image.

Enjoy!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

18 Responses to “I want a Platypus, I want a Platypus! Okay, this months pattern is a Platypus.”

1. DK says:

Oh, gracious. I love this. I love you for making this. Thank you. Now to go make it a real thing in the world! :)

2. Catharine says:

Thank you! I love platypi!!!!

• Julie says:

Hi Catherine, without wanting to sound too picky I just thought I’d let you know that the plural form of platypus isn’t platypi but simply platypuses. Even a few of us Aussies make that mistake as it can be just as confusing as the plural from of octopus which in my reference book can be either octopusses or octopi.

3. Chloe says:

Heya, it’s really cute! Looks likehe’s sneaking around, trying to steal biscuits 😛

BTW just the males have poison :) Only they have the power of super secret spy spur attacks…

• Andrea says:

So only the boys have poison. Intereresting. I remember seeing a show on venomous bites. It showed a guy get stung by a platypus. He had a really hard time. The venom wasn’t to bad but he also got a infection.
      Oh, and that is where I first heard about platypus venom. Thank you Animal Planet.

• Chloe says:

Yeah, random titbit from my Zoology lectures, I’m afraid… one of the few facts that got through! I’m so glad I live somewhere where things are not poisonous (unless you go around jumping on adders, or buying grapes from Tescos and so on): recently I was in America and it wasn’t until the end of the year when I had a panic about something that turned out to be an infected mosquito bite that I thought “wow, there’s stuff here that could genuinely kill me!”

Must be even worse for Australians, the creatures that can poison them are cute…

4. Yakbook says:

Oh, wow! That is the best thing I’ve seen all day! The bow is the perfect touch. Thanks for being so generous with your patterns!

5. Joely says:

very cool platypus! Perhaps a crazy looking koala or wallaby next?
    Our native animals don’t need much tweaking to become odd looking!
    Love it!!!

6. Giddy says:

TOO cute! I adore the bow; thanks!

7. hannita says:

SHUT UP!!! This is the awesomest. Ever.
    Thank you – from one of the platypus clamoring people.

8. Rachel says:

True story: once I found a platypus washed up on the beach. At my home. IN NORTHERN CA. I have no idea how it made it here intact (but expired). My mom saw it, my sister saw it but no one else ever believes me. CRAZY. He looked just like yours minus the bow and with more seaweed. =) Thanks for another super creative pattern. I’ll be linking.

9. jmbmommy says:

that is one hot platypus! Thanks, I love it!

10. oh thats funny platypus..Looks like he’s sneaking around find something

11. I like that I came looking for embroidery patterns and am leaving learning about a platypus. I think my favorite part is the use of the word mammal as a tag.

12. sara says:

The very core of your writing while appearing reasonable initially, did not really work well with me personally after some time. Somewhere throughout the sentences you were able to make me a believer but only for a while. I however have a problem with your jumps in logic and one might do nicely to fill in those breaks. In the event that you actually can accomplish that, I could undoubtedly be fascinated.

13. The Riviera Times…

[…]I want a Platypus, I want a Platypus! Okay, this months pattern is a Platypus. « Andrea Zuill’s Blog[…]…