Caga Tio

My blog post on the cute fairytale buildings in Carmel is not going to be the last post of the year.  I have discovered something totally awesome that I have to share right now!

First of all,  what I am about to tell you is completely true and not something made up for South Park.  I swear that this Christmas tradition rivals Krumpus in shear weirdness.

Join me in welcoming, with millions of  Catalonians,  the Poop Log or Caga Tio.

Caga Tio

The tradition of Caga Tio is very old.  Yet the name Caga Tio is a more recent phenomenon.  I’m not going into the ancient origins but here is how the modern tradition is played out.

First,  find or buy a log to be Caga Tio.  If you buy your log you can get one with the face of Elvis or even Spongebob if you wish.  Going the more traditional route you can search the woods for your own special Caga Tio.  Second, wrap your log in blanket to keep him warm and to gather strength.  For a week, feed him yummies so he will grow strong.   And he will need all his strength because on Christmas Eve you are going to beat the crap out of him.  No, I am not joking.

God, they look so happy.

Caga Tio, still wrapped in his blanket, is beaten with sticks by little children, while singing this song –

Poop log,
poop turrón,
hazelnuts and cottage cheese,
if you don’t poop well,
I’ll hit you with a stick,
poop log!

After beating the Caga Tio, the blanket is lifted to reveal treats.

Here is a great video that shows how the whole Caga Tio thing happens- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFXtHrKdKWI&feature=related

I swear I didn’t make this up.

12 Responses to “Caga Tio”

1. Katy Yo says:

That’s some crazy shiz.

2. Kristin L says:

I just read about a Venezuelan tradition that must be related: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caganer

3. moni says:

yes!! in my house is de Caga Tió each year. is a fun tradition. Happy Christmas and Happy New Year !

4. Silvia says:

hahaha, I’m glad you like this tradition of us! :) It’s really funny and it’s so nice to see children feeding the log each night :) we are quite scatological here, hahaha.
    I hope you’re having a wonderful Christmas!! I wish you a Happy New Year 2011!! :) Hugs, Silvia

5. Andrea says:

I am so happy to have people who know Caga Tio check out my blog. I have told all my nieces and nephews about the tradition and I got the feeling that they want to have a Caga Tio at next Christmas. They are all in their teens or twenties!
    I wonder if I can get a Caga Tio in the US?

6. Conchi says:

Hi Andrea, I’m from Barcelona, Spain, as well
    say is a Catalan tradition, here are children
    happy, days before Christmas he feeds
    “Tió”are usually put orange peel (in my
    home we put the food in the evening and morning
    and it has been eaten)

and when it’s day 24 by night he sings
    song hitting them with a stick and magically the
    “tió” shits candy or even some toys is
    nice to see the look of surprise and happiness with
    children.
    The video you have put your okay, but the “tió” is
    see her face has painted eyes and mouth, only
    will cover the rest of the trunk and burned it for years,
    but as not everyone have fireplaces, as
    keep one year to another.
    Happy New Year

7. Conchi says:

The “Tió” what you can do the same with a trunk, and 2 smaller chunks for the legs, then one would paint her eyes and mouth .

• Andrea says:

Conchi, Thanks so much for letting me know about how you celebrated with Caga Tio. I am thinking of building a Caga Tio for my next years Christmas. It just seems so much fun!

8. jmbmommy says:

This is the funniest thing I have read in SO LONG. I can’t stop laughing! Thank you!

9. jmbmommy says:

I just watched the video. You have OUT done yourself here. The acting and production were perfect. I love learning about other traditions. I will have to link to this next Christmas. Thank you once more!

10. Anna says:

That’s the cutest piece of sh%t I’ve ever seen!!!!