I have finally finished my Snake in the Grass quilt. Even though I don’t know how long it took me to finish, I do know that I took much more time than any other of my quilt’s. It measures approx. 30″ x 42″. It is all cotton, with cotton/poly batting and embroidery thread. It is all handsewn, with the exception of the very edge. The quilt’s edge was sewn like a pillowcase on the sewing machine, then turn rightside out. This quilt has a lot of applique, with up to 6 layers of applique on top of each other, on some of the designs. The quilting has been done around all the major design elements and the border.
Since I like my work to be funky, you’ll notice that the right side and the left side of the quilt are only loosely mirror images. Same with the border. I have no interest in making a very exact quilt. For inspiration I once again used Pennsylvania Dutch Fratur artwork as inspiration, and indian/oriental needlework. This quilt was started at the beginning of hiking season when the snakes start to come out into the open. So far this season I have see about 10 rattle snakes.